Thursday, December 20, 2012

Camp Life Recreation


          Camp life was tough but fun, well at least sometimes.
We would play cards, and we smoked to get our minds off of the fact that we are brutally killing people! Well, that is pretty much why we do things like that. Some of us even sing and dance. We would even tell stories. It can be fun, but we had to remember that we were still at war. Some of the time we wouldn’t go to battle every day. Maybe not even that whole week. Our day typically started at five in the morning. We took roll call, we ate breakfast, and for the rest of the day we did five, two hour drill sessions. The drills were very boring, but one time my friend was doing a drill and was running through a mud puddle and then fell on his face right into the mud. We all wanted to fight, not practice. But we realized that the practice was the difference between life and death when fighting occurred. I know all of this because I was in the war myself. I was lucky to survive. That is what I know about camp life.

                                                                   Jacob A.
                                                                   May 14, 1863




                  

           

1 comment:

  1. I did not know tthey sang and danced.
    Aaron stanley

    ReplyDelete