Friday, December 21, 2012

Which Side Are We On?


                                June 14, 1821

            It was difficult to be a Union Spy during the war. My name is John McMahon and I have been a spy for the north since the Civil War began. My job was to spy on Robert E. Lee.  I kept the Union informed of his plans and what was happening next. I had to pretend to be a soldier in his army so I could find out everything I could about his plans.  My life was always in danger, and I was always thinking about what to do next so I didn't get caught. If I was captured, I would surely be put to death.  I have gained the trust of many spies in the last several years, including the most successful Federal spy of the war, Elizabeth Van Lew.
            I had to sneak away often to meet Elizabeth.  She was a spy who was allowed into Libby Prison in Richmond. She pretended to be a caring woman who wanted to take care of the prisoners, but she was actually sneaking information in and out of the prison. I have been told she would bake cakes and hide small pieces of paper, or tear out the spines of books and hide information there. "Libby" also helped people escape. She was such a good spy she was able to sneak into Jefferson Davis's home by convincing one of her former slaves to get a job there. The former slave would give Libby information about the activities taking place there and Davis's plans for the future.
            Today it is the middle of June in 1821. One day during the war I received a letter from another spy which was hidden inside the sole of my boot. As I was reading it, my Captain saw me and asked what it was. I didn't know what else to do so I put it in my mouth and swallowed it. My captain just looked and me and mumbled something under his breath. The letter told me about another spy working in a unit not far from there. There are many of us working for the North. Our spies are even posing as kitchen help in some of the homes of the South's greatest leaders.  We played an important role in the Civil War.
                                                John M.



2 comments:

  1. Your picture has the best presiden ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be cool if you had a spy in the background in that picture.

    Alex F.

    ReplyDelete